Sunday, August 1, 2010

Wonton Ravioli

One day, if I'm feeling particularly ambitious, I will learn to make my own pasta. Until the day comes that I have that sort of leisure, I'll manage with wonton wrappers. I've been wanting to try making ravioli with these and after a lot of research, the complaint most people had was that the wraps were too fragile for boiling and were always bursting in the water. I decided not to use any filling that needed to be cooked (no meat) so I can allow them to boil only momentarily. This seemed to do the trick.

I didn't really follow any recipe for this... for baking I stick to proportions for the most part or else you could really botch your project. For cooking I tend to just go by sight and taste, but here is basically what I did:

Cook down an entire package of baby spinach with some minced garlic, olive oil, salt/pepper, then place in colander to cool and drain excess water.

When cooled, dump spinach in a bowl. Add half a package of ricotta cheese (approx 1/2 cup) and a handful or two of grated Parmesan cheese (no need for exact measurements here, if you like more, add more).

Taste the mixture; season accordingly. I added a teeny bit of hot pepper flakes, fresh thyme, black pepper, and Italian seasoning.

Whisk 1 egg into a small bowl.

Put a SMALL spoonful (about a heaping teaspoon) into the middle of a wonton wrap. Smudge some egg around the borders, and place another wrap over, matching the edges. Make sure you press out any excess air, but be careful not to smush all the filling out.

Keep going until you've used all your wonton wraps/filling/whatever comes first. Or you just get tired.*

Boil water, add salt. Drop in ravioli no more than about 5 at a time to prevent sticking (I added some olive oil to the water to prevent this but you still need to be careful). They should only boil for about 1-2 minutes max. Use slotted spoon or spatula and place ravioli onto a plate.

Top with your favorite sauce and serve! FYI these would probably be delicious fried and served as hor'deurves with marinara. Yum!




*If you're not going to cook your ravioli right away, place them onto plates (do not overlap them - they will stick) and cover with damp paper towel and saran wrap. Refrigerate until you're ready to cook.

1 comment:

Koci said...

I love this idea! It would make ravioli so much easier!