Thursday, July 15, 2010

Matcha Matcha

I hate the color green. I don't think I even owned a piece of green clothing until my last job required me to wear nothing but green, which was a bit loathsome. But green cakes? I love anything flavored with green tea/matcha (hey, I'm Asian), especially in the form of baked goods. I made these cupcakes back in April when it was finally springtime. The colors just seemed appropriate and the flavor/texture is phenomenal. I've made these a couple times since and they've been a hit with friends, guests, etc. The recipe I started with came from Cupcake Bake Shop, but my version also uses some self-rising flour and therefore allows you to omit a couple other ingredients. I topped these with matcha buttercream (and experimented with a pastry bag for the first time), and sprinkled with decorating sugar.



Matcha Green Tea Cupcakes
Adapted from Cupcake Bake Shop. Yields 12 cupcakes.

3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons cake flour, self-rising
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon matcha (green tea) powder
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 large eggs
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper liners; set aside.
In a large bowl sift together flours, sugar, and matcha powder, set aside.
In another bowl whisk together eggs, milk, and vanilla.
With electric mixer, beat butter until soft. Slowly add the egg mixture (on low/medium setting).
Slowly incorporate the dry flour mixture in 3 parts, continuing to beat until ingredients are well incorporated.
Divide batter evenly among liners, filling about 2/3 full. Bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 17 to 20 minutes.
Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before icing with buttercream.

Matcha Green Tea Buttercream
1 stick unsalted butter at room temperature
2 tablespoons half and half or light cream (add more for thinner consistency)
1 tablespoon matcha powder
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted

Mix matcha with cream in a bowl with fork until well incorporated.
Beat butter briefly with electric mixer.
Add sifted sugar and matcha mixture, beat until smooth - slowly add in small amounts of additional cream if you feel the mixture is not thin enough.

2 comments:

Koci said...

These cupcakes look so cool! I love the icing!

~Lisa~ said...

Beautiful! Great job. I love the color green (=