Sunday, July 18, 2010

Snickerdoodles

I'm moving to another apartment at the end of the week, and therefore have been using every excuse to bake instead of pack. The less flour, sugar, and butter I have, the less crap to move, right? It's logical.

Used up my last bits of butter to make snickerdoodles, and decided to throw some dark chocolate on top while I'm at it since I had some laying around (again, trying to lessen the contents in my fridge to move). The smell in my apartment is intoxicating. Trying so hard not to eat them all. So far I've had 3, and counting...

I meant these to be thumbprint cookies but because of the baking soda, the cookies puffed up and didn't allow the chocolate to sink in, so the chocolate just ended up sitting on top of the cookie like sprinkles. Still delicious, nonetheless. The sugar/cinnamon gives the exterior a sweet crunch while the inside is almost cake-like, light, and soft.



Snickerdoodles
Adapted from Allrecipes.com

Yields 10-12 cookies

1 1/3 cups + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Chocolate chips/chopped chocolate (optional)

2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine sugar, butter or margarine, vanilla and egg. Mix well.
Sift in flour, baking soda, salt, and 1 tsp cinnamon. Blend well. Shape dough into balls.
Combine 2 tablespoons sugar and 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon. Roll dough in sugar/cinnamon mixture and place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
If desired, create a thumbprint into each ball. Fill with chocolate chips.
Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until set. Cool before removing from cookie sheet.


1 comment:

My Man's Belly said...

I've always been a sucker for Snickerdoodles. It didn't help that the only food my high school cafeteria could ever get right were the Snickerdoodles either.

The chocolate addition sounds like it would be perfect.

Best of luck with the move!